Thursday, March 26, 2009

Welcome to the other side of the counter

Greetings, cycling fans. The word on the street is that the staff here are so immersed in our work whenever you stop by the shop that you don't feel you have a sense of who we are. When you swing by to pick up your beloved Jamis or Bianchi with its newly adjusted brakes or sparkling clean derailleur, you often wonder "who was that masked man (or, rather, man covered in axle grease)?" Welcome to the other side of the counter....

When things aren't so busy, I like to hang out with the mechanics. This rainy Thursday I was learning about brake lines and pestering them with questions for the staff biographies. (Don't click over to the website and look for them, I haven't put the new stuff up yet.) Ben, Bernie, and Todd were good sports, working away while calling out responses as I went through my list of questions, including "If you were a Muppet, which one would you be?" (FYI, they are Beaker, Fozzy Bear, and Animal, respectively.) They're a nice group, certainly less gruff and sarcastic than I'm used to in bike shops. And I don't think it's because of the fresh zucchini bread I brought in this morning (but that couldn't have hurt).

I'm hoping to have some good stories soon, so check back. And with any luck, maybe I can talk a few of the guys and gals here into blogging a bit....

No comments: