Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter finery = Spandex

I had planned to meet Team FeXY (www.teamfexy.com) this morning at 6:15 for a ride up Mt. Weather, but when I rolled over to silence the alarm at 4:30 this morning and saw the temperature sitting at a less than balmy 38 degrees, and felt my whole body protest that 5 hours was not enough sleep to pull of that ride, I decided that my next best option was the 9am shop ride!

I figured it would just be Caleb and me, since it is Easter Sunday, and many people were getting dressed up in Easter finery to head to church services, family events and brunches. I rolled out of bed at 7:30 feeling much more rested for the extra 3 hours sleep! I picked out my Easter outfit... Louis Garneau tri shorts, Pearl Izumi tights, a CHB jersey, a PI jacket, my helmet, some mid weight gloves, wool socks, and my bike shoes... so much better than the days of being forced into frills and lace and ridiculous hats.... Yep, I was always the girl who managed to get mud or grass stains on every outfit within minutes of putting it on.

I drove to the shop... I know, that was a slacker move. I got there with enough time to ride up to Peregrine for a mocha. I met a guy named Gene on a sweet Indi Fab rockin Campy Chorus there. He was waiting for friends to join him for another group ride. We talked a bit and drank coffee, then I headed back to the shop.

Arriving a couple of minutes before 9, I found a lone cyclist. He indicated to me that he was deaf, and did not seem to read lips. Without benefit of pen and paper, or sign language skills, I was at a loss for how to communicate with him. Another guy on a yummy Ti Seven rolled up. He introduced himself as Gary. We waited a few more minutes, and decided to go. Just Gary and I took off, our unidentified friend declined to join in.

Leading by default, I decided to go with my old standby... Mt. Vernon Trail! I knew I could get there without getting lost, which is always a bonus when leading a ride! It was a little chilly, but not nearly as chilly as it would have been at the crack of dawn! Cold is not my friend, but I am not a fan of the trainer by this time of year... we have spend a few too many hours together in the previous months.

The wind was stiff, which was great when we were riding with it... 20+mph with very little effort! Of course it balanced out when we were fighting it... Gary said he wanted to do a couple of hours, and I was just happy to have company for the first half of my long ride for the week. I was pretty sure no one was going to want to play for a few extra hours on the back end of the group ride.

We went south through Old Town Alex, through Belle Haven, and decided to hit Mt. Vernon before turning around. Traffic on the trail was light for a gorgeous Sunday on the way out. We hit a small mulch covered detour around trail maintenance, as we neared Mt. Vernon... I guess that is what cyclocross is like, and if my fantastic wreck into the orange mesh barrier was any indicator, I will not be trying cross anytime soon!

When we reached Mt. Vernon, we had a snack and headed back north. By this time, more people were out on the trail, and we had to slow more often. It gave me time to notice how the sun danced on the river. It looked as if the night sky had not disappeared, obscured by the sun, but had fallen into the water. It is moments like that when the yogini in me breathes deeply, and silently expresses gratitude for nature, life, and the ability to ride!

We navigated the trail back to 14th St without incident, and made our way up M to 8th and back to the shop. I waved goodbye to Gary and encouraged him to return. Then it was on with the rest of my workout!

1 comment:

:)Ibti said...

Sounds like a nice ride! I don't know about the wind today, though. I was almost blown over a couple of times just biking to Dupont for the farmers market. I guess that's why they call you Iron Jen.