Thursday, April 9, 2009

NO boys allowed

Today was our first women's lunch ride, and I kinda wish I'd brought lunch...

I am house sitting this week, so my stuff is scattered about, and I showed up this morning without a bike. I hadn't announced the ride on Facebook, and I figured I wouldn't have any takers. I was a bit disappointed, because it's a NICE day!

Ibti and I waited to see if anyone would show, and I made arrangements to "test ride" a shop bike..... About 1120, a girl named Carolyn came in to get her brakes looked at and asked about any group rides! She was in luck!!

I grabbed a Bianchi Elena, rolled up the cuffs of my jeans, grabbed a test ride helmet and off we went! Short sleeves! It felt great! We rode over the 14th Street bridge into Virginia. There was a still breeze coming in off the river. I was feeling a little overly excited to be riding off the trainer, and I nearly took a spill when I dragged a pedal in a curve near the marina.

The traffic on the trail was light, and the conversation lively! We made it into Old Town Alexandria and stopped for a snack... a snack that I didn't bring. DOH! I knew this as one of those familiar moments when my tri coach would want to smack me in the head with an aero-bar! I have a bad habit of forgetting to fuel up while riding... and running.... and swimming.

The whole ride was at a moderate pace, which I'd post had I been on a bike with a computer! We stuck together well, and Ibti gets props for being a new rider with a touring bike hangin with the road and tri girls!

So, now that the inaugural ride is over, I promise not to forget my bike or my food again! Come join us on Thursdays at 11:30 for a lunch break! We won't leave you behind... No boys allowed... unless you come in drag that is.

No comments: