Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First Ride

So I finally road my new bike today... I've had it for quite some time. Even had the honor of having the only one in the U.S. People are like 'you must get to ride all the time, since you work at a bike shop' FAR FROM IT. The truth is I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they ride as much as they want. Anyways, today I was out on my new bike, it was rainy and gross but hey, it was warm. The second I got on it was like being reunited with an old friend, well designed bikes have a way of feeling good right out of the gate. The route I went was one of the sections of road you can ride with your eyes shut. You know where every pot hole is and the 'bad sections', you also know exactly where to attack. In the saddle the bike was amazing, I was trying to take it easy as I haven't been on a bike in a while, yet the bike was so balanced it was pushing me to go faster in the turns... After a warm up I decided to go explore some new roads in DC, getting across town was a little hairy but the bike snapped to attention when I needed it to respond. Getting to the new roads I found a little loop with a slight rise and slight descent, and VERY FEW CARS. I road easy the first time, the second time I wanted to push it a little... Once again the bike was so fluid and balanced it just wanted to go faster. It is such a hard thing to describe, the feel of a bike, how responsive a bike is... it is even harder to describe how balanced it felt under me the first time. True, I measured the heck out of my old bike before moving parts over to the new frame, so the fit was mainly there, saddle may have to move a little... But the ride was awesome. And I'm looking forward to being in the saddle again tomorrow, which I guess is the other part that makes a bike great, you want to ride it.

2 comments:

:)Ibti said...

Sounds like a pretty nice ride. You were wearing a HELMET this time, right? (I am looking sternly at the computer screen as I type.)

stickboybike said...

Sounds like a match made in heaven? ;-)