Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flats

Flats, they are part of life... you are riding around and POOOOF! A lot of people ask me if 6 flats a year is a lot, honestly no I don't think it is a lot. Sure there steps you can take to lessen this. Inflate your tyres before every ride. Ride with a tyre that has good puncture protection a high TPI and pay attention to what is in front of you. Yes, even all these things can still not prevent punctures, its just a way of life. This winter I was riding 'brand S' tyres with a hard shell desert animal on them and still punctured a few times. It just happens, or does it... A few years ago on a March ride I wused out and rode around the final climb, this particular route though flat went down a main road. I had a bad collision... Anyways, that was not fun, so maybe I'm a little superstitious now. Maybe those 3 flats I got in 2 days was something telling me not to ride my bike... i didn't. Maybe getting the puncture at the waterfront caused some traffic to pass, missing me... I guess its a positive way to spin cracking your hands because it is under 30 degrees outside and you can't change a tyre with winter gloves on! So look at flats as a blessing. They cause you to think..... am I lucky or UN-lucky?

2 comments:

:)Ibti said...

Also key: make sure the tubes are the right size for your tires... *sigh.*

ratherclever said...

I swear that after I read this this morning and went on the women's ride with Jen it jinxed me. That or I got Ibti luck because two flats and a possible unhappy rim later I almost through my bike in the river.